Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
OXFORD — The filing period for the November municipal elections began last week, but there has not been a rush of candidates to file for election, according to Granville County Board of Elections Director Tonya Burnett.
“It has been slower than expected,” Burnett said. “We usually have a surge of people filing on the first day, but did not have that this year. Maybe the potential candidates are waiting to see who is going to file and we will be busy during the last week.”
The filing period opened July 5 and runs through noon on July 19. Those considering running for office must go to the Granville County Board of Elections office located at 208 Wall St., Oxford and complete the necessary paperwork and pay the filing fee.
Bring a check to pay the filing fee. Anyone with questions about filing can contact the Granville County Board of Elections office at 919-693-2515. The Butner-Creedmoor News will publish a list of all candidates upon completion of the filing period.
Those that have filed as of noon Wednesday are:
• Terry Turner (incumbent) filed on July 5 for mayor
• Bobby Wheeler (incumbent) filed on Tuesday for mayor
• Ernie Anderson (incumbent) filed on July 5 for city commissioner
• Kechia Brustmeyer-Brown filed on Monday for city commissioner
No one has filed
• Ron Bullock (incumbent) filed on Monday for city commissioner
• John Tovey filed on July 5 for city commissioner
• Justin Paynter filed on Tuesday for city commissioner
• Mike Williford (incumbent) filed on Monday for town commissioner
• Dale Hughes filed on July 5 for town commissioner