Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
OXFORD — The filing period for Granville County’s municipal elections opens July 5.
The period will begin at noon and end Friday, July 19 at noon.
The Granville County Board of Elections office will be open from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. and will not close for lunch during the filing period. The office is located at 208 Wall St., Oxford.
Local offices up for re-election are as follows:
• City of Oxford — Mayor and city commissioner (three seats). Filing fee: $10
• City of Creedmoor — Mayor and city commissioner (three seats). Filing fee: $10
• Town of Stem — Mayor and town commissioner (four seats, two of which are up in 2019 and two are unexpired terms ending in 2021). Filing fee: $5. Candidates must decide if they are filing for a seat that expires this year or filing for an unexpired term. If a candidate files for a seat up in 2019 it would be for a four-year term. If a candidate files for a seat that is an unexpired term, it would be two-year term ending in 2021.
• Town of Stoval — Mayor (seat is not up until 2021) and town commissioner (three seats). Filing fee: $5
• Town of Butner — Mayor and town council (three seats). Filing fee: $10
Bring a check to pay the filing fee. Anyone with questions about filing can contact the Granville County Board of Elections office at 919-693-2515.